Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bad habits

Have you ever had a situation where you said or did something in the heat of the moment, only to regret it later? Do you ever wish you could take back the words you said, take back the hurt you caused someone? I am sure we all go through those.

Each time I have such a regret, I make a mental note to myself to think twice before I speak or do something, to try and be a better person. But unfortunately, we are creatures of habit .. and no matter how much I mean to, its hard to change some habits.

Being short-tempered and opinionated are some of my bad habits. I voice my opinions too quickly without giving thought to the other person's views. I also get irritated very easily. This not only causes hurt and bad feelings with people around me, but also causes me pain and regret in hindsight.

If only real-life was like blogging where we could moderate our comments and actions before they get to others ..

6 comments:

just pk said...

looks like u just spoke my mind...like u say, i too try to think before i speak but always end up speaking and then think and worry about the repercussions...i guess one feels bad on hurting others unintentionally...

Deepali said...

I think we all hate doing this and keep doing this.

Something that helps me some times is that I imagine that what I say will get forwarded to others.

It's like an email you write to a colleague and before you know it your boss gets cced in there somewhere and then you're sitting there thinking shit I shouldn't have said this and that or at least said it differently.

Though in the 'heat of the moment' this doesn't usually happen.

Cosmic Joy said...

Thank you PK and Deepali for your comments.

It does feel good to know someone somewhere is reading my ramblings .. after all a Leo thrives on attention :-)

just pk said...

...let me tell you, you write very well...so i actually look forward to ur next post and check out what that is about...

PS: so u r a leo :)

Pri said...

well, i do know exactly how u feel...being opiniated, i feel it necessary to voice my opinions about everythin and sometimes so much tht it crosses the line hurting myself and othrs in the process...neverthless i do feel hurt if othrs have nothin to say cos i feel everyone does juss tht whn they dont say it they dont think u r worthy enough to be told ...and tht hurts me!
most of the times , a frank opinion leaves me hurting myself much more...but thn its all done by thn...
through time, ive learnt tht being short tempered and impulsive has never helped anyone ..and i like to believe ive improved a lot on tht.
but at times cant help wishing thr was some comment moderation in real life too to erase all the hurt caused by speakin too much ...

Cosmic Joy said...

@pk - thanks .. from a humble leo ;-)

@pri - I can definitely relate to your comments .. it is better to hear the negative opinions than to hear nothing.