Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Satisfaction

Is there such a thing as complete satisfaction in one's life?

I don't think so.

Can we ever reach a state of total satisfaction, at a point where we are happy with everything in and around our lives?

I do not ever see that happening.

We always seem to be complaining and finding faults. Its either too hot or too cold. Our jobs always suck. Traffic is always bad. Flights are always late. Everything is too expensive. Everyone else always seems to be making better progress than us. We always wish for the grass on the other side of the fence. And when we are given the chance to cross the fence, we complain about the fence being too high. And after crossing the fence, the grass is not as green as we expected it to be.

Is this human nature? Is it something in our genes? Is it the way we are bound to be, or is it an outlook or quality that we can modify and improve upon?

7 comments:

Preethi said...

Hey, welcome back! Belated happy New Year to you :)
mmmm now....Do u really complain that much? I hope i don't come out looking like a saint here. I'm NOT. But i've been more content with things than others i see around me. Not always though. I was never ambitious. People who are not content with things always strive to achieve more, they work very hard. kind of keep things moving. Don't you think? I'm sure it is the attitude one takes towards life that sets the tone...

ceedy said...

welcome back...thank god you found the play button....

i am somewhat in coherence with preethi above....

personally in any event - whatever it is personal, professional, physical....if in a corner or mode of complain I meditate and just thank for where I am today and try to feel the pain of someone who is struggling and has not had a opportunity in life to do atleast what i have done....(know it sounds saintly)....but have been thru some rough personal struggles that have made me like this

Cosmic Joy said...

@preethi - thanks and happy new year to you too. So if I understand your point, you say that not being satisfied is a trait of the ambitious. Which may very well be true.

I was referring more to things that are not goals or achievements yet to be made. It was more in general about how one always finds faults with things that happen around u and never accept things as they are.

@ceedy - thanks .. yes I am back now!

Funny how both you and preethi added the clarification about you both not being saints :)

Solitaire said...

According to Abraham Maslow, we are able to reach the stage of self actualization, if we go up the hierarchy of needs. The contentment in your write up is nothing but this self actualization.

Cosmic Joy said...

Thanks. I had to google AM to understand his hierarchy of needs . What I found was very interesting and informative. However, from what I understood, it appears that as per his theory, to reach the highest level (self-actualization), the lower level needs have to be satisfied. Which means I still have miles to go :)

Preethi said...

I meant the personality of an ambitious person leaves him/her discontent with other things around. It kind of permeates into the being and into everyday affairs as well.

Finding fault with things is a disease, according to me. Only with constant practice to not do so will a person come out of this habit. Nothing to do with genes definitely... mmm...

Lakshmi said...

I completely agree with u..was thinking along the same lines a few days back