Thursday, December 13, 2007

Compromises and Adjustments

I am not sure how many companies are aware of this, or if they can do anything to change this, but it is a fact that December is a very slow month at workplaces across countries that celebrate Christmas. Productivity is at an all-time low. People are either busy trying to get their shopping done, or trying to use up their vacation quotas, or simply in a holiday mood to seriously tackle the pending work items.

So here I was today, in a similar mood, surfing blogs. And I came across this one very interesting blog. This was a seasoned blogger who had been writing since 2004. Reading her blog made me feel like a back-seat passenger in her car, as she took her journey from the time she passed out of college through her first year and half of marriage.

For me, the journey took less than an hour. For her, it was a long 36 months. And it wasn't all a straight road either. And as I sat through each sharp turn, or change in elevation, or the places that went by, I realized something about life in general.

I realized that every so often, we have changes in our lives. Some of the changes are work-related, and some within our families. Some changes we bring upon ourselves, and some that life throws at us. And each time this happens, we adjust ourselves, much like a fielder who has to catch a ball, so we are prepared when it comes. Its all about compromises and adjustments, our life.

And then, a few minutes later, I was conversing with a blogger who did not believe in adjusting and compromising when it came to important events or decisions in our lives. Her arguments were logical and convincing. It was nice to see her zeal and enthusiasm on this subject. She was smart enough to realize how up-hill the task would be, and she was mentally prepared for it.

This raises the question .. is compromising a habit we develop as we grow older and (hopefully) wiser, after realizing the mysterious ways that life operates? Or is it that we get too tired and inert to fight our way out of compromising, and start accepting it as a part of the puzzle called life?

13 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Change i think is one of the most natural things and compromising, a way to deal with the change- but I think we can blindly compromise to anything and everything ..We shifted cities and I dont like the city where I live , but its no big deal and easier to compromise...I was in a workplace I didnt like and I opted out..I had to deal with the change and so has my family ..so the pros and cons change I believe

Deepali said...

Compromise IS a part of life but I somehow feel it's because we think we can do no better anymore - which for me is "get too tired".

Preethi said...

Personally, i prefer the word 'adjustment' than the word 'compromise'. If one has taken a path which felt right at that time, then i think one shud respect one's own judgement and not see it as a compromise. Ever. Nice topic again. Inspired me to write something akin to this.

Cosmic Joy said...

@backpakker - I like your anaology to change. It makes sense.

@deepali - You are probably correct too when you say one gets too tired and so goes with the flow and adjusts. But it all depends on individual circumstances .. its hard to paint every compromise with that broad brushstroke.

@preethi - Thanks for your comments. I too prefer the word adjustments :)

Quaint Murmur said...

Compromise can make you completely inert after a while, especially for those people who do it all the time.
It's like settling for something less than you wanted, every single time.
That being said, it's definitely necessary in some scenarios.
But when it comes to things like marriage, jobs, other important decisions...it can kill the individual within you.
It's all about striking a balance, I think.

Pri said...

IMHO compromising is a part of life...but there is a limit to everything...
u shouldent compromise on things wch can make u feel uncomfortable...'listen to ur heart' they say, 'for it knows best'...never compromise on ur values and on what u believe is right...
what better combination could there be than a 'wise mind and a compliant heart'...but then most often (almost always) its not the case...
the mind urges us to compromise but our stubborn heart refuses...
Im my opinion never compromise on something ONLY based on what ur mind says...both the mind and the heart have to work in sync and its only when the conflict ends, tht we know tht we have made the right decision...:)
I agree though, it often seems a never ending struggle...

take care!

Deepali said...

I think QM is bang on. On big things in life, compromising is not a 'solution'.

Solitaire said...

Its an interesting topic. I think that man has the innate ability to "adapt" and that's what we have been doing all along through evolution, and continue to do so.

ceedy said...

It is an interesting surmise - what I feel is that this is a very personal endevour - it has no prerequisites - sometimes we just have to compromise at the given moment as there are no other options - sometimes we struggle to find a different way - some find it some dont.....
if it hampers your personal growth and development - than that kind of compromise is not good as you will eventually want to break free from it

Cosmic Joy said...

@quaint murmur - "It's all about striking a balance". You said it all in that one sentence and I believe that is how it is. Thank you.

@pri - I recently became a believer in the fact that its all in the mind (thanks to deepali). I believe that the struggle you described is one between the emotional you and the logical you. But the struggle does exist when we deal with situations throw our way, and some people let their emotions respond, and some people let the logic be the winner.

Anyways, I too believe adjustments are a part of life when it comes to certain situations .. no matter how strong one may be.

@deepali - Since I already know your views on this .. no comments :)

Cosmic Joy said...

@solitaire - You are right .. but I dont think its limited to humans alone.

@ceedy - You summarized it nicely. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Compromise is one thing which I think just increases as our life goes by, but I think if it helps the cause, it is better for the long-term, although it may hurt for a while.

Cosmic Joy said...

@kalyan - helps the cause is the key here .. the question is whose cause ? Ours or someone else's ?